Powered By Blogger

18 September 2008

Dragon Fruits




I don't really know a lot about dragon fruits until I started reading about it recently from the different websites. My mum-in-law gave me one a week ago after my hubby told her I have been wanting to buy one, I think.


Dragon fruits has some similarities to kiwi fruits in that both contain tiny black crunchy seeds in the flash. Even the texture is similar. The difference I noticed is that kiwi tend to be more sour. Dragon fruit comes from the cactus family.


According to what I have read from a few websites, dragon fruits are rich in Vitamin C, fwater soluble fibre and minerals. They also contain antioxidant properties which prevent the formation of cancer-causing free radicals. It is widely commented that dragon fruits has high nutritional and medicinal value. Dragon fruits have the functions im improving eyesight and hypertension.





Typically, dragon fruits are sweet (sometimes blend, I thought). I love the crunchiness of the flesh because of the little black seeds. The flesh is white for this one that I had. The other type has got red flesh, which I would like to give a try. I am not sure if the red flesh fruit is sweeter or tastes better than the white.

One lazy way of eating is to use a spoon and scoop the flesh and put it right into your mouth. Just like how some people eat papaya. The other way is to run a spoon round the circumference to separate the flesh from the skin. But I find this way quite messy.

I prefer to run my thumb (of course must be thoroughly cleaned) round the flesh and use a little force to lift the flesh out. Much easier this way.


And finally, cutting the flesh into cubes for easy consumption. I realised that the skin can be used for serving the cubes. Very presentable, isn't it?

Start eating dragon fruits for great nutrition with it's healthy properties.

No comments: